Monday, November 2, 2009

I Got My Lunch Packed Up, My Boots Tied Tight

After receiving the WGH (World's Greatest Haircut) on Sunday I was feeling ultra confident going into my first day teaching on Monday. Got dressed up, checked the football scores and was pleasantly surprised by the Ravens performance, the sun was shinning and I was starting to think that 10 baht good luck charm was really paying off.

Kicked off the first class off by assigning student's English names and I was off to a solid start, cruising through the first few minutes with no problems. In the word's of the great Randolph Dupree I was throwing seven different types of smoke, too good to last. When I finished with the names I introduced myself and wrote my name in big block letters on the board, which got a surprising amount of laughs. Too many laughs, it seemed, for a simple name but I pressed on undeterred.

A few minutes later another teacher walked into the class room and pointed at the marker I was holding in my hand. "No, use this marker." She said. It was then that I realized I has scrawled my name on the white board in permanent marker, not dry erase. Smooth. Suddenly the temperature in the classroom seemed to skyrocket as I tried to apologize through the roar of 50 hysterical students.

It's safe to say now that no matter how my teaching goes my mark has been left on the school forever, literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment