Sunday, November 1, 2009

Farang Gets a Haircut, Awesomeness Ensues

Super Cuts, Great Clips, a haircut is a haircut. This was the mentality I had until yesterday afternoon when I received what was undoubtedly the greatest haircut of my entire life. To call it just a haircut is a complete and utter injustice, it was an experience.

I walked down my street looking for a place to get lined up before my first day teaching and also because the heat here has caused me to despise my hair. I stumbled upon a barbershop and the second I saw the place I knew it was a keeper. Red leather chairs and a strictly male clientele, a real NGA (no girls allowed) establishment where I'd like to think the only acceptable topics of discussion were ladies and the past weekend's Muay Thai matches. The He-Man Woman Haters would have been proud of this place.




The translation was a bit rough, but I pointed out a number 4 on the buzzer and my guy got to work with meticulous precision but only after powdering up my neck and hair. To call him just a barber is to sell him short, he was a sculptor of hair, an artist wielding clippers as his tool, a real master of his craft. When he finished the haircut itself I went to get up, but realized the process had only just started. The chair went back, a pillow was brought out and the buzzers were switched for a razor. Before I knew it he was mixing up a cocktail of lotion and shaving cream, there was more lubrication invovled in this shave then there was on the set of Ron Jeremy's last film.

Having a man that speaks not a word of your language hold a razor to your throat is a bit shocking at first, but the guy was a pro. After checking his work on my hair for a second, third and fourth time, I got some dabs of aftershave and a quick massage, all for the staggering price of 60 whole baht.


No comments:

Post a Comment